Sunday 28 September 2008

My Interview With LoveLaurie!




Well, my name is Laurie, I am 46 years old, and I live in suburban Boston with my wonderful Husband John. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in August. We have a 17 year old daughter and a 14 year old son. Teenagers are fun…..really! LOL. I feel fortunate that I have been able to be a stay at home mom. I grew up in a family where everyone is creative in some way and was always busy making something in their spare time. When I started my family, I naturally followed suit and set up a craft room for myself in a spare bedroom.

My family and friends are the main reason I started my shop. I love making and giving hand made gifts. I would spend hours creating unique gifts and everyone seemed to enjoy seeing what I would come up with next. This was usually followed by someone saying “You should sell this stuff!” After hearing it enough times I started to think, maybe they have a point, and decided I should give it a try.

My Ideas usually come from two places. They usually start by me discovering I have a need for something, and then are influenced by the people in my life. Take my Sewl Mate pincushions for example. I was forever searching for my pincushion because my craft table is always so cluttered. So, I made a pincushion on a pedestal, in the shape of a dress form so that I could see it above all the stuff. It was a great solution. Then one night while out with friends, I happened to mention that I enjoy crafting and one of my friends husbands said, “Really, you don’t seem like the type.” The next day while putting some pins in my new pincushion, I started to think about what he said and wonder, is their really a type? I know so many women with varying interests and careers who also like to craft. I found some clay that I had lying around and gave my pincushion a face. Before I knew it she was wearing a jean skirt, had a little pair of Ugg boots made of felt, and looked a lot like my daughter. The first Sewl Mate was born!

My latest products are a direct result of me always having the need to turn something useful into something that is also beautiful, and maybe improve it a bit along the way. I am currently creating seam rippers and needle threaders, embedded in polymer clay to strengthen them, and turning them into adorable little works of art at the same time. I am also in the process of photographing my new line of pincushions, and my newest product called Pretty Pins, which are basically decorative pins to pretty up your cushies.

No comments: