Wednesday 9 July 2008

Me Interview with whimsypics

This is where Etsy stands out and offers high quolity services. If you wish to buy a card/s, book or any altered items whimsypics is the best place to be!


Please can you tell us about yourself and your back ground?

My name is Melissa and I’m a SAHM to my 4 year old son, Ethan and 11 month old daughter, Ava. My husband, Henry, is my biggest supporter! I was born and raised in NY (just north of NYC) and moved to the Raleigh, NC area in December 06 to purchase my dream (for now) house. It was difficult to share an office space with my husband in our NY apartment. I started Scrapbooking when my son was born. He was born 10 weeks early and, while he was in the hospital, I made little books out of construction paper and used them as little scrapbooks to give friends and family. Since my daughter was born, it’s very difficult to find time to create. I take a long time to complete each project (and I hope it shows) but I hope that I’m able to find more time to create as she becomes more independent.

Can you tell us abit about your work and how did you start your etsy shop?

I absolutely love what I do! I started selling traditional premade albums on ebay about 4 years ago and as my style changed, I included altered art in my auctions. I did well there but I felt like the site wasn’t geared towards selling art (or craft) and I felt stifled. I found out about etsy in April of ’07 by reading the ebay forums! I opened up shop, listed one item, sold it and didn’t really come back. Then in January ’08 ebay announced some ridiculous changes so I decided to try etsy full time. I am so thrilled to be part of a community that understands, appreciates and values what I do! The etsy community is incredibly supportive and I’m so glad I found it.


What usealy sparks off an idea?
My ideas for themes tend to come from the paper and/or embellishments that I’m using. I love to alter things that would normally be thrown out and sometimes those things just ‘speak’ to me as well. For example, my dear sweet husband (who saves all of his garbage for me to alter) came to me with empty rolls of painter’s tape. I rolled my eyes and threw them into my ‘alterables’ drawer. But, a little while later, I got a pack of rub-ons and some coordinating paper and immediately thought ‘I’ll make a diorama with this and the painter’s tape roll’. I ended up making 3 dioramas with that paper and to this day, they are my absolute favorite thing I’ve ever done. My mother in law bought one of them and I’m so glad that I’ll be able to see it when I go back to NY to visit. I’ve altered empty bottles, altoids tins, boxes, hat boxes, paper bags, envelopes and other things I can’t think of right now. I’ve THOUGHT about altering almost anything that doesn’t walk! And I never throw anything out, just in case.


Please tell us about your latest products:
I just finished an album using acrylic for the pages. I was very intimidated, as the pages are all see-through but I listed it and it sold the same day! I guess I did ok. Right now I’m working on a summer themed album. The album itself is shaped like a pail and shovel you might use for digging in the sand. I’m excited to see how it’ll turn out! My albums are all one of a kind. I may use a paper line more than once but I never duplicate an album. I hope that all the love that I put into each of my creations is apparent to each of my customers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for featuring me!!