Saturday 19 July 2008

My Interview With tannerglass



Please you tell us about yourself and your back ground?
I had a strong artistic background as a child....I took lots of drawing and painting classes, and attended college with the intent to major in Fine Art. It was there that I was fortunate to have the opportunity to take glassblowing (my very last semester at Hartwick College in Oneonta NY in 1993), and was even more fortunate to be able to purse it as a career 5 years later.After finishing a 2 month long glassblowing intensive at Penland School of Crafts in 1998, I was offered a job as a glassblower in Rhode Island. And this is where I have been ever since.

Can you tell us abit about your work and how did you start your etsy shop?
I started Tanner Glass 9 years ago, with the notion that I wanted to make work that was fun, and practical to own. I started with bottlestoppers, bud vases and ornaments, and quickly expanded my line to include Oil Candles, larger vases, Pocket Coins and paperweights. As my line developed, the colors, shapes and styles became more lighthearted and fun.....and FUN.ctional Objects was born!Since opening my etsy shop in Feb 2008, I have expanded my line even more....to include Cabochon work (handmade flat-backed pieces of glass). Keeping everything in line with being fun and practical.


What usealy sparks off an idea?

See above answer......fun and practicality!

Please tell us about your latest products:

The glass cabochon work (magnets, paperweights, hooks) are all new. I am having fun taking beautiful papers (and in some cases, Fortunes), combining them with glass, and turning them into something unexpected....like a Leash Holder.

My bottlestoppers are what I am known for, but my Coin Bud Vases are my signature pieces.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mimi....this is great! Thanks for the feature!