Thursday 3 July 2008

My Interview With jaymeekae


Jaymeekae's work amazed me when I saw it, a classic 'How did she do that?'. The long exposures reminds me of my college days, I dore old buildings and her landscapes looks as though they have been plucked from her dreams and memories. Anyone can take a photo or draw a scribble but what makes a great photographer/ artist is someone who knows just what to add to make it alive with that added 'spark'. Therefore I encourage everyone to visit this truely amazing shop.

Please you tell us about yourself and your background?

My name is Amy, I’m a photographer and I’ve been living in London, England for almost a year. I never liked art in high school and I have vivid memories of being made fun of by my art teachers. I started a degree in computing which wasn’t working out too well and, when I discovered photography at the end of my first year, I knew I’d found my calling! After three months of the second year, I made the decision to leave. I had a few months out to travel and then I started a BA in Photography and Digital Imaging. I still believe this was the best decision I’ve ever made, even though I am now a jobless hippy.


Can you tell us a bit about your work and how did you start your etsy shop?

When I left university I worked for about 11 months as an interior photographer for an estate agent. It wasn’t a bad job but it really started to bore me, so when the whole department was made redundant a few weeks ago, I saw it as a chance to make a change! I’m trying to get into the fabulous world of being a genuine starving artist! I’ve set up this etsy shop and I’m also investigating the possibility of taking my work to markets and craft shows. I also had an offer of having a show in a gallery, so I’m exploring all kinds of avenues! Everything is very new at the moment, I need to promote myself more and start the sales rolling in!


What usually sparks off an idea?


Lots of things… as a photographer, just going out into the street is often inspiration enough. I like to use conversation to develop more involved project ideas. I find that ideas just go round and round in my head without ever being formed into anything useful unless I bounce them off some unsuspecting friend.


Please tell us about your latest products:

My “Non Space” series is the latest big project I’ve worked on. I was looking at ways to show a presence of something without actually showing the thing. At the time I was doing a project about a skate park when a friend of mine suggested attaching torches to the skaters to create trails of light through images in long exposures. The trails of light idea kind of ran and ran and I love the effect. There’s a certain buzzy, gritty feel to a long exposure image taken in a city at nighttime and the angular streaks of light add a sense of movement and presence that is mysterious and conjures up all kinds of ideas. I love that element of mystery and ambiguity.Watch this space for new projects and new prints!

No comments: