Tuesday 10 June 2008

My Interview With OnesandZerosFashions

I am so excited about introducing OnesandZerosFashions! I am so jellous of any child who gets given one of these lunch bags to take to school. Maybe with OnesandZerosFashions 's help we can take alittle bit of the child inside us all to work :)
Please you tell us about yourself and your background?

I’ve been making artwork for as long as I can remember. I began drawing about the time I could hold a crayon, and I learned to sew early on by helping my mom make clothes for me, and crafts for our home. From that time on, I knew I wanted to be an artist. After studying Fiber Art at Maryland Institute College of Art, I moved to Philadelphia and began working as a costumer in the theatre industry. I loved the variety of things I got to create as a costumer (from tutus to space costumes to Victorian dresses), it was something new for every show. But after a couple of years I felt like I needed more time to devote to my own artwork and decided to start Ones and Zeros Fashions!

Can you tell us a bit about your work and how did you start your etsy shop?

My Lunch Monsters definitely evolved out of need. I always take my lunch, but brown paper bags just seem so wasteful to me. So, I designed Harold as an eco-friendly way to carry my lunch. Initially, they were just made for myself and my fiancĂ©, but I started to get lots of orders from people who saw them. When a friend suggested Etsy to me, I thought it was such a great venue to show my work and meet other artists as well. My shop has been open about a month, and I love it so far!I’ve started listing some of my one of a kind garments recently as well. I really love the idea of wearing something that is completely unique, so I prefer to make one of a kind or limited edition clothing. In my designs, I often contrast geometric prints with more organic shapes or vice-versa, because my two biggest design influences are robots and nature! That may sound like an odd combination, but there’s just something really beautiful to me about super-sleek modern design paired with more organic, natural elements.

What usually sparks off an idea?
Usually the initial spark comes from the materials themselves, I’ll see some fabric or buttons or even a color and start thinking about what I could make with it. Especially with garments, I like to experiment with different combinations of textures and colors and see how different materials play off each other.

Please tell us about your latest products.

Right now, I’m working on some new features and designs for the Lunch Monster series. One new feature will be a carrying strap. The new Lunch Monster will have arms that can snap together so you can carry it as a shoulder bag!Soon, I’ll also be adding some beautiful new skirts, shirts, and dresses as well as prints of my drawings to the Ones and Zeros Fashions shop.

2 comments:

Heather Leavers said...

loving those lunch monsters!

Anonymous said...

Harold rules in Catonsville, MD!